After you have made this once, yours will be the first invitation that is issued. “Bring your cheeseball”, they’ll say. “Why of course”, you’ll reply, knowing full well you will only bring half the mixture. There’s nothing like a little cheeseball to come home to, is there?
I think this is probably the very first recipe that I converted to the Thermomix from the laborious hand-grated, hand-mixed cheeses method that I used to suffer through each Christmas. This recipe is sure to become a family favourite.
- Place peppercorns into the mixing bowl and mill 3 seconds/speed 8.
- Add almonds and chop 2–3 seconds/speed 5. The almonds should still be quite chunky.
- Remove from bowl and place mixture on a double layer of foil large enough to wrap cheese ball when finished. Set aside.
- Without cleaning the mixing bowl, place spring onions and all cheeses into the bowl and chop 15 seconds/speed 8.
- Add apple cider and blend 10 seconds/speed 4. This is quite a wet mix and benefits from being placed in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Scrape out mixture onto almond and peppercorn mix. Using foil as the wrap, roll the cheese around so that it’s fully coated in almond mix and shape into a ball making sure that the almonds are coating all sides. Wrap in the foil and refrigerate for several hours until quite set.
AND … You can make individual-sized cheese balls but you would need to increase the almond and pepper coating mixture. Serve with crackers and olives.