Shakshuka (meaning “to shake up” or “to mix”) is a popular northern African egg and spicy tomato-based breakfast which comes in as many variations as you will find crepe recipes in Brittany. One thing it never lacks is bags of flavour.
This particular version introduces beef and lamb meatballs, made from scratch in the Thermomix with a blend of herbs and spices; then browned in a rich tomato and chargrilled capsicum sauce finished with fresh herbs and preserved lemon. Lastly, instead of the usual whole eggs, egg yolks only are dropped on top and barely cooked.
Enjoy for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner with plenty of fresh bread or pita to mop up the succulent sauce and lava of egg yolk.
- Roast whole capsicum over an open flame on the stove or barbecue until skin is black and blistered all over (approx. 8–10 minutes), using tongs to turn it as you go. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film for 15 minutes; then peel off skin, deseed and finely slice. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- For keftas, place cumin, sweet paprika, white pepper and cayenne pepper in mixing bowl and dry roast 2 minutes/Varoma/speed 1 to waken the aromas. Add red onion and garlic then chop 3 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, add coriander and parsley leaves then chop 3 seconds/speed 7.
- Add semi-frozen lamb then mince Turbo/0.5 seconds/8–10 times. Add minced beef, egg and salt then combine 20 seconds/Reverse/speed 3. Shape the mix into 3-centimetre balls (approx. 35–40 grams each) and flatten them slightly. Set aside until needed.
- For sauce, chop brown onion, garlic cloves and carrot in a clean and dry bowl 3 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté 5 minutes/Varoma/speed 1 without measuring cup.
- Add reserved sliced roasted capsicum and cook 2 minutes/Varoma/speed 1 without measuring cup.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fresh thyme, sea salt, white pepper, sweet paprika, ground cumin and cayenne pepper and cook 40 minutes/100 degrees/speed 1 with simmering basket in place of measuring cup.
- When ready to serve, add preserved lemon, chopped coriander and parsley to the sauce and combine 10 seconds/Reverse/speed 3.
- To finish, heat olive oil in a 30-centimetre diameter cast-iron (or other heavy-based) skillet and brown keftas for 2–3 minutes each side. Cover with sauce and simmer to reduce for 5–7 minutes.
- Scatter whole egg yolks around the surface of the pan and carefully cover with aluminum foil. Cook 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little sweet paprika and garnish with coriander leaves or snowpea tendrils and serve immediately.
- Serve with flatbreads or cous cous.
AND… The recipe can be made ahead of time up to Step 5 and even kept frozen until needed.