I love a good peanut butter, and when I say good, I mean salty, crunchy, a little sweet and with a depth of roasted nut flavour. This is your ticket to peanut butter heaven. Get on the train!
Starters, Suppers, Soups & Sides
500 grams roasted peanuts
75 grams golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons salt flakes
- Place all the nuts onto a tray lined with baking paper and place into a cold oven set to 200°C. Roast for 10 minutes. Yes, I know they are already roasted, but this extra roasting gives you the lovely colour and depth of flavour we are looking for in traditional peanut butter.
- Meanwhile, create a sugar praline by placing the sugar into a dry frying pan on a medium heat. Do not stir. Shake the sugar occasionally and then as it starts to melt, a little more frequently so the sugar melts equally. When the sugar has melted it should be a beautiful amber colour.
- Scrape the melted sugar onto a silicone mat. Let it set. It will not take more than a few seconds. Break it into pieces.
- Place 400 grams of the hot peanuts into the mixing bowl with the sugar praline and salt. Blend 30 seconds/speed 8. With the spatula, scrape down the sides of bowl and lid. Blend 30 seconds/speed 7. If you prefer a jar of smooth and one of chunky, remove the required amount of the smooth peanut butter from the bowl and store. If not, continue and add the remaining peanuts and blend 6 seconds/speed 6. The short blend will ensure that the additional peanuts remain relatively chunky. This is your crunchy peanut butter.
- Store in airtight containers in the pantry.