Time: 5 minutes prep; 7 minutes in the Thermomix
Yield: 300 millilitres
Basics & Foundation Recipes
1 medium clove garlic, peeled
1 x 55-gram egg
5 grams (1 teaspoon) Dijon mustard
300 millilitres vegetable oil
10 grams (2 teaspoons) lemon juice or white vinegar
ground white pepper
20 grams extra virgin olive oil
- Place the garlic in the Thermomix bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 7. Scrape down the bowl and add the egg and mustard to the bowl.
- Insert the Butterfly, place the lid on and the MC in place. Mixing at speed 4, steadily pour the oil onto the lid, 30 millilitres at a time. The mixture won’t begin to thicken significantly until about half the oil has been added, and it will take 2–3 minutes for all the oil to be thoroughly incorporated.
- Remove the lid and scrape down the Thermomix bowl. Add the lemon juice or vinegar and mix 5 seconds/speed 4.
- Remove the Butterfly. Scrape down the bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper then weigh in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix again on 10 seconds/speed 4.
AND … If you think more garlic is needed, wait. The flavour grows stronger over time. Freshly made aioli may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.