1. Remove the stems from the chillies and cut them in half crossways. Then cut them into short lengths, leaving the seeds in.
2. Place the chillies, garlic and ginger into the mixing bowl. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5, then scrape down the bowl and repeat.
3. Add the sugar, water, vinegar and cornflour. Cook 25 minutes/100 degrees/speed 2 with the MC removed.
4. Season to taste with salt, then blend 5 seconds/speed 8.
5. Pour the sauce into sterilised jars or bottles.
6. Refrigerate after opening.
AND … This sauce has medium heat; if you like less heat, remove the seeds from one or two of the chillies.
But if you really do like it hot, sample those long red chillies before you cook, as their heat can vary considerably—if they are at the milder end of the spectrum consider adding a small, fiery, bullet chilli to the mix.